•  
  •  
  •  

EBRD, FMO to fund 51-MW solar project in Jordan

Author: EBRD. License: All rights reserved.

June 16 (Renewables Now) - The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) announced USD 70 million (EUR 62.8m) in financing for the construction of an up to 51-MW solar park in Jordan.

The beneficiary would be Spanish solar developer Fotowatio Renewable Ventures (FRV), the EBRD said on Thursday. The plan is to extend a senior secured loan in two portions, A and B, of USD 35 million each. The lenders will be the EBRD and Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO), respectively.

The funds will be received by a special purpose vehicle (SPV) called Al-Safawi for Green Energy PSC, which will develop, build and operate the solar power plant. It is 70%-owned by Abdul Latif Jameel Group (ALJ), through subsidiary FRV, while the remaining 30% are held by Arabia Trading & Consulting Company Ltd (ATC).

The total cost of the project is estimated at USD 93.3 million.

The Al Safawi 51-MW photovoltaic (PV) park will be situated in the Mafraq governorate in the northern desert region of Safawi. Its construction will support the Kingdom of Jordan's goal of 10% renewables by 2020, cut dependence on hydrocarbon imports and lower carbon dioxide (CO2) emission.

(USD 1.0 = EUR 0.897)

More stories to explore
Share this story
Tags
 
About the author
Browse all articles from Veselina Petrova

Veselina Petrova is one of Renewables Now's most experienced green energy writers. For several years she has been keeping track of game-changing events both large and small projects and across the globe.

More articles by the author
5 / 5 free articles left this month
Get 5 more for free Sign up for Basic subscription
Get full access Sign up for Premium subscription